How Boots Saved (Changed) My Life

I actually wrote this post about a month and a half ago, but somehow got sidetracked and never posted it. We are now well into calving season and on the downhill slide to the finish line. We've had a lot of cold days, but thankfully with everyone's hard work (and having a nice, big barn) we haven't lost any calves to the cold! I love seeing the calves right after they are born and how all of their instincts are so automatic. Within an hour most calves are up and looking for food! And they know where to find it and how to get it! Pretty amazing! I've helped a couple calves get started sucking, partially because I love how it feels when you stick your fingers in their mouths and they start sucking away.

Back to my original post, and hopefully I'll be better about blogging in the future! I originally had wanted to post once a week, but since that goal was apparently too steep, I'll shoot for once a month. Wish me luck!

A few years ago I visited Laramie for a football game with Keela. We both decided that cowboy boots were really fashionable and that we both probably "needed" a pair. I ended up buying this cute pair of boots and thought I was really cool to own my own cowboy boots. Never mind that riding a horse seemed terrifying. I wasn't planning to use my cowboy boots in any sort of work fashion; I wasn't worried about their function. I happily wore them the next few years, but never imagined someone might find me attractive because of them.

 Rich probably doesn't remember this, but we were standing next to each other during a football game (the game before our first date). It was cold out and I was kicking the snow off my boots onto the bleacher in front of me (sorry to who was sitting in front of me), when Rich looked down and noticed I was wearing something on my feet that resembled a boot. He asked what shoes I was wearing, and I pulled my pant leg up an inch (note to the ladies: you don't even have to show skin to get attention, just one inch of boot). As I was pulling up my pant leg, I could already tell he was going to be impressed. He acknowledged my awesomeness (or something like that) and seemed impressed that a girl like me (still not quite sure what that means) would have boots. Fast forward (or is it forward fast?) and now my boots have gone from fashionable to functional and I wear them almost every day.

Around this same time last year, Bogs were trendy and I thought that it would be great to have a pair to wear to football games. The responsible side of me didn't think I could justify the purchase just for game day fun, so I decided I didn't need them. Luckily for me, soon after the above mentioned boots scenario happened, Rich invited me to visit him on the farm. One of my first thoughts was: Bogs! I should definitely buy Bogs to wear to the farm. And thus my purchase was justified. I couldn't show up on the farm without them, right? Right. So I visited the farm for the first time with my new Bogs in tow. Then for Christmas this year my parents bought me my second pair of Bogs. Last week we were moving cows, and by we, I mean my brother-in-law and sister-in-law were moving cows and I was driving a vehicle behind them. I did get sent on my own on a quick trip with the wheat mids (think of a tasty treat that cows love) pickup to try and lure the cows in the right direction, and I came upon an electric fence. I wasn't sure if it was on or not, but to be on the safe side, I assumed it was hot. I was pulling and straining and doing all I could to try and put enough weight into it to get the wire unlatched (without actually touching the wire). Despite the cold, I broke a sweat and thought I better get a different angle on this wire and see if I can get it open. I decided I should touch the electric wire with my Bogs (smart?) and see if anything happened. Nothing did. I dumbly assumed it must not be hot, so I stepped my leg over the wire. After some more heaving, I finally got the wire unlatched. I went on my way without receiving any electric jolt. I was later telling everyone how hard I struggled to get the wire down and how I was glad that it wasn't hot when I touched it (and subsequently touched it numerous times in getting the fence down). I was then informed that it was on, and that since I was wearing rubber boots, (Bogs!) I didn't get shocked. Saved by the Bogs!

The original pair of Bogs, with real mud on them! 


The moral of the story is: sometimes you buy something purely because it's a trend and then you marry a farmer and actually use them. Also to note, Keela didn't buy cowboy boots that day, and didn't marry a farmer.

Coincidence? Probably.




Comments

Popular Posts